Google continues to say that high-quality content is important if you want to get high rankings. To better understand Google’s idea of high-quality content, Google’s guides for their own projects can help.
What exactly are these guides?
Google published several documents that show the requirements for Google’s own products. For example, the Google Developer Documentation Style Guide provides a set of editorial guidelines for anyone writing developer documentation for Google-related projects.
How can this help your own website?
The guides describe Google’s standard for their own content. It’s very likely that Google will think that your web pages are high-quality pages if they meet these standards. Here are some key points from the documents:
Recommendations for your content:
- Aim for a voice and tone that’s conversational, friendly, and respectful without being overly colloquial or frivolous; a voice that’s casual and natural and approachable, not pedantic or pushy. Try to sound like a knowledgeable friend who understands what the reader wants to do.
- Use standard spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization. Write short and concise sentences that are easy to understand.
- Use descriptive link texts, i.e. “download the user manual” instead of “click here”. If you link to other websites, make sure that these websites are reliable and respectable.
- Avoid buzzwords and technical jargon. Don’t use exclamation marks, except in rare really exciting moments.
- Consider numbered lists and bullet lists to structure your content.
- Use tables and lists when appropriate. Only use tables when you have multiple columns of information.
- Use optimized .png files or SVG files with ALT text for images.
- Use HTTPS to embed resources such as images, media files, CSS and scripts on your pages.
- Use HTML to structure your page and use CSS to style your page visually.
How to optimize your pages
There are many things to consider if you want to get high rankings on Google and other search engines. In addition to the things above, you should check your pages for other technical things that can have a negative influence on your rankings. After that, optimize your pages so that they get high rankings for the right keywords.
The tools in SEOprofiler help you to get better rankings on search engines. If you haven’t done it yet, create your SEOprofiler account now: