Does your website load slow? Google Chrome might tell potential visitors so in the future. According to a new announcement, Chrome may identify sites that typically load fast or slow for users with clear badging.
Badges for slow loading pages
Google says badging may take a number of forms and Google plans to experiment with different options, to determine which provides the most value to users. For example, it could look like this:
Google’s early explorations will look at a number of Chrome surfaces, including the loading screen (splash screen), loading progress bar and context-menu for links. The latter could enable insight into typical site speeds so you’re aware before you navigate.
Fast web pages are important
Google wants to deliver web pages in the search results that are displayed quickly. Your pages should deliver the fastest user experience you can achieve;
- Users will leave websites that are too slow, frozen, or not available.
- Most consumers expect a web page to load in a few seconds.
- Many consumers abandon websites that do not load within five seconds.
- Each second that your web pages need longer to load can have a negative impact on the conversion rate of your website.
If your web pages do not load quickly enough, you will lose customers. In addition, Google won’t rank your web pages as well as they could be ranked.
How to check the speed of your web pages
Google recommends several things to ensure that users of mobile devices can view your web pages without problems:
- A web page should load within 3 seconds.
- Your web server should send the first byte within 1.3 seconds after a request.
- Mobile pages shouldn’t be bigger than 500 KB.
Google found out that the majority of websites are much slower and bigger than that. If your website isn’t that fast, you’re not the only one. Of course, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t improve your pages.
How to make your web pages faster
The are several things that you can do to make your website faster. Some things are very easy, other things require the help of your web host.
First of all, you should choose a reliable web host with a fast internet connection and fast servers. You can do the following to make your web pages faster:
- Optimize your images: Optimizing your images is an easy way to make your web pages fast. Most image editing tools a “save optimized version for web” option. Use that option to create smaller images. Further information about image optimization can be found here.
- Reduce the number of plugins on your website: Check if you really need all plugins and widgets that are used on your web pages. Many just slow down your website without adding value to your site.
- Optimize the code of your web pages: For example, only use tracking scripts if you really need that data.
There are many other things that you can do. Check the speed of your website here. Google’s tool will show you the elements that you have to improve to make your web pages faster.
Make your website faster now
Create your free SEOprofiler account now, check the speed of your web pages, and create high ranking web pages: