Google’s algorithm updates have shown that your website can get in major trouble if your website has the wrong type of backlinks. How do you judge the quality of a website? What is a good website and from which web pages should you get links?
Links are still the most important ranking factor for Google (with positive and negative effects).
1. Make no mistake: all automatic backlinks are bad
All backlinks that have been created automatically have no positive influence on the rankings of your website. If these automatically created backlinks use the rel=nofollow tag, there’s nothing you have to worry about.
If you used tools that automatically created
in bulk for you, you should try to get rid of these backlinks to avoid
a penalty. The link disinfection tool in SEOprofiler can help you to get
rid of bad backlinks.
2. The easier it is to get a link, the less you will benefit from that link
For example,uploading an image to imgur.com and then adding a link to your site in the description or comments won’t do your website any good. Creating a blog on Tumblr and linking to your site also won’t boost your website rankings. If it is very easy to create a link, that link won’t have an effect on your rankings.
3. You do not need special metrics
Many webmasters only want to get backlinks from pages with a particular PageRank. While you can use this method, it is usually a waste of time and it makes link building more difficult than it really is.
If a website has an overall high-quality then it does not matter if the page with the link to your website has a low Google PageRank:
- If a high-quality website adds a new page, the new page will have an initial PageRank of zero. Nevertheless, the page can still be very good.
- A page that has a PageRank of zero today can have a high PageRank tomorrow.
If only pages with a high PageRank had a chance, it wouldn’t be possible to get new pages in Google’s results page. Experience shows that new pages appear in Google’s results every day.
4. Using your common sense leads to lasting results
When you find a web page that could link to your site, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does the linking page look good to the average web surfer?
- Does the page have interesting content?
- Is the content related to my website?
- Does it make sense if the web page links to your site?
If you can answer all questions with “yes,” then you should try to get a backlink from that page. It doesn’t matter if that page has a low PageRank.
Google tries to imitate common sense with its algorithms. If you use common sense to build your links and follow the tips above, you make sure that the backlinks to your website will count in all future updates of Google’s algorithm.
For example, the hub finder tool in SEOprofiler can help you to find these related websites. Use all the link building tools in SEOprofiler to get the best possible results for your website.
If you haven’t done it yet, create your SEOprofiler account now and improve the backlink structure of your website: